Pats on the Back:
- Juana Moreno's NSF CAREER award "CAREER: A Search for the Optimal Material for Spintronic Device Applications: From University to Primary School Classrooms" has been transferred to LSU. It was awarded to LSU in the amount of $246,735.
- Mayank Tyagi is the Society for Petroleum Engineering LSU student chapter faculty advisor and he spearheaded the effort to host the SPE gulf coast region student paper contest on April 20-21, 2012. Twenty five students participated in different divisions (BS, MS, PhD) from five different universities: University of Houston (UH), Texas Technical University (TTU), Texas A&M University (TAMU), University of Texas - Austin (UT-Austin), and Louisiana State University (LSU).
- Kyle Mathews (Petroleum Engineering) won 1st place in the BS division of Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) Gulf coast regional student paper contest. He is an undergraduate researcher in Prof. Mayank Tyagi's group. His presentation was on "Flow and Heat Transfer Modeling of the Top Hat Recovery System During Macondo Blowout." Kyle also won first place in the LSU internal competition and will now represent the gulf coast region in the international competition during the Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition (ATCE) at San Antonio, TX during fall 2012. (http://www.pete.lsu.edu/news/2012/4/lsu-hosts-spe-gulf-coast-regional-student-paper-contest-april-2021-2012/)
- Yin Feng (Petroleum Engineering) successfully defended his PhD dissertation titled "Numerical Study of Downhole Heat Exchanger Concept for Geothermal Energy Extraction from Saturated and Fractured Reservoirs" on Thursday, May 3, 2012. His supervisor is Prof. Mayank Tyagi. Yin was supported by CCT as a student match on a DOE Grant (UCoMS project). CCT's financial as well as computational resource support is gratefully acknowledged.
- To mark the completion of the initial phase of a project to redesign our hallways, you're invited to a reception on the 17th of May in Johnston.
- Student Volunteer applications opened April 1, 2012 and will be available at the SC12 Submissions site: http://submissions.supercomputing.org/. Applications close on July 31, 2012. International attendees who will require a travel visa are strongly encouraged to apply as early as possible. For more information on the Student Volunteer program and other student-related programs at SC12, visit: http://sc12.supercomputing.org/content/student-volunteers. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prior approval is required for Special Meal Requests. Employees who make meal purchases without prior approvals may find that they must cover the cost of any monies spent for an unapproved event out of pocket. Dine-in restaurant meals are not allowed on LaCarte credit cards. Please contact Susie McGlone (email@example.com) prior to any special meal with visitor(s) to file the appropriate request for approval. Prior approval could take up to two weeks, so please plan accordingly.
- Please remember to send your news concerning grants, awards, conferences, or other pertinent information to CCT Event Coordinator Jennifer Fontenot at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow CCT with social media to access photos and see news, events or updated information. These pages are public; you do not need an account to view the information.
MAG (Mobile App-Art-Action Group): Everyone interested in the potential for Mobile Apps is invited to come and add their vision for these revolutionary devices. For more information visit: http://www.cct.lsu.edu/MAG
- Contact: Jesse Allison (email@example.com)
GPU: meets weekly (Mondays @ 12:30 pm in 338 Johnston) and encourages participation from anyone who would like to join in the discussions. Join the mailing list: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact: Zhifeng Yun (email@example.com)
May 29- July 28: REU Computational Sciences
May 29- July 28: REU Materials Science
June 8-10: Red Stick International Animation Festival
June 18-22: Alice in Computation Land Summer Camp