CCT Spotlight: Maciej Brodowicz
Maciej Brodowicz is an IT Consultant for the CCT, as part of the System Science and Engineering Focus Area. He joined the CCT 2005.
Maciej is from Warszawa, Poland. He is married to his wife, Yuko and they have two children, Veronica and Marcin.
ParalleX and X-caliber are the projects Maciej is currently involved with.
The reason he is in his current field of study is because, he said, "it's interesting and intellectually challenging, and if successful it will be a game changer."
When asked to name an interesting fact about himself, he said, "doesn't enjoy being in spotlight of any kind."
Pats on the back:
• Jorge Pullin presented a plenary talk at the "Loops 2011" conference in Madrid, Spain titled "Spherically symmetric loop quantum gravity."
• On May 9th, Governor Jindal issued Executive Order BJ 2011-7 that directed executive branch agencies including higher education to cease spending in support (non-personnel) categories. Since the University has not received guidance on how to implement this executive order, LSU has developed operating guidelines to meet the spirit of the order through June 30, 2011. These Guidelines apply only to expenditures using State appropriated funds that are included in the University’s FY 2010-11 Operating Budget and so identified with a zero in the sixth digit of the account number. Please contact CCT Business Manager Theresa Markey (email@example.com) with any questions.
• Upcoming Purchasing deadlines:
o June 3: All requisitions regardless of dollar value are due to Purchasing
o Please email CCT Purchasing Coordinator, Andy Cox (firstname.lastname@example.org), the LSU property tag on all moveable (laptop, camera, etc.) and off-campus equipment as soon as possible, if you have not done so already.
• The LSU Center for Computation & Technology will host for the first time the LSU iOS Application Boot Camp August 1-12 (10 day camp; not including weekends) on the LSU Campus. This new educational experience offers LSU freshmen the opportunity to gain knowledge while enhancing their entrepreneurial spirit. Participants will work in groups to create their own operating App and have it loaded on their personal device by end of camp. Registration fee is $300. For more info and to register, visit http://www.cct.lsu.edu/iosbootcamp
• Registration is open for “Stop Motion Summer Camp,” July 11-15, 2011. This exciting summer education opportunity offers high school students a unique opportunity to build upon their interests in animation. Registration fee is $125. For more information and to register, visit http://www.cct.lsu.edu/StopMotion
• Applications for the SC11 Student Volunteer Program are open and close on August 12, 2011. Undergraduate and graduate students are encouraged to apply as volunteers to help with the administration of the conference. In exchange for volunteering, they will receive complimentary conference registration, housing, and most meals. In addition, limited support will be provided for transportation expenses (such as airfare) for international students and students from groups that traditionally have been underrepresented in HPC. For more information visit http://sc11.supercomputing.org/?pg=studvol.html or email email@example.com.
• LONI Technical Forum scheduled for July 18-19 at Pennington Biomedical Research Center is now accepting registrations. Participation is FREE. If you wish to suggest a topic for discussion, email Lonnie Leger at Lonnie@lsu.edu. For more information, visit: http://www.cct.lsu.edu/LONIForum2011
• Prior approval is required for Special Meal Requests. Employees who make meal purchases without prior approvals may find that they must cover the cost of any monies spent for an unapproved event out of pocket, especially now that state funds are under a spending freeze. Please contact Susie Poskonka (firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to any special meal with visitor(s) to file the appropriate request for approval. Prior approval could take up to two weeks, so please plan accordingly.
• Please remember to send your news concerning grants, awards, conferences, or other pertinent information to CCT Event Coordinator Jennifer Fontenot at email@example.com
• Follow CCT with social media to access photos and see news, events or updated information. These pages are public; you do not need an account to view the information.
o Facebook group : LSU Center for Computation & Technology
o Twitter : LSUCCT
o YouTube channel : LSUCCT
May 30- July 29: NSF Rearch Experience for Undergraduates
June 6-10: Beowulf Boot Camp
June 13-17: Alice in Computation Land Summer Camp
July 11-15: Stop Motion Animation Summer Camp
July 18-22: Alice in Computation Land Summer Camp
July 18-19: LONI Tech Forum
July 31- Aug 6: Computational Thinking from a Parallel Perspective
August 1- 12: iOS Boot Camp for LSU Freshmen
August 9-11: SIGGRAPH (Booth #841), Vancouver, Canada
Upcoming Grant Deadlines:
Note: Please check the CCT deadline Web site, since it is updated daily.
Software Infrastructure for Sustained Innovation (SI2)
July 18, 2011 10:00 am
At Most $ 1,000,000.00 available
Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program
July 23, 2011 10:00 am
At Least $ 400,000.00 available