Pats on the Back:
• Congratulations to Susanne Brenner, who was appointed by the Council of the American Mathematical Society as Managing Editor of Mathematics of Computation, effective February 1st. http://www.ams.org/publications/journals/journalsframework/mcom
Lectures this week:
There will be a Frontiers of Scientific Computing Lecture on “Maximum-Principle-Satisfying and Positivity-Preserving High Order Discontinuous Galerkin and Finite Volume Schemes” presented by Chi-Wang Shu, Brown University. The lecture will take place Thursday, January 19th at 3:30 PM in 338 Johnston Hall.
• On Friday, January 20th, the SIAM Chapter and the VIGRE Program are hosting "A Conversation with Dr. Carol Woodward." This will take place in 338 Johnston from 9:00-10:30 am. Dr. Woodward received a B.S. in Mathematics from LSU in 1991 and a Ph.D. in Computational Science and Engineering from Rice University in 1996. Since June 1996, she has been a computational scientist with the Center for Applied Scientific Computing at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.
• CCT is updating the faculty, staff and postdoc directories on the website with professional LSU portraits. We are asking that all faculty, staff and postdocs (no graduate or undergraduate students) who do not already have one, choose one of the two sessions below to take one. There is no need to schedule a date/time, just show up at University Relations' office during the given dates/times. It will only take 5-10 minutes per person. University Relations ("Lakeshore House") is located near the Lod Cook Alumni Center on W. Lakeshore Dr., in between the Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity and Kappa Delta Sorority. The photo studio is on the third floor, room 314. We ask that men wear a suit jacket/blazer with a tie and that women wear a suit jacket/blazer. Available dates: Wednesday, January 25th- 9:00 am-noon; Thursday, February 9th- 1:00-4:00 pm.If are you unable to make either of these scheduled sessions, please contact Jim Zietz (email@example.com). If you have any questions, contact Jennifer Fontenot (Jennifer@cct.lsu.edu).
• Submissions for the 2012 Red Stick International Animation Festival have been extended thru January 31st. Visit http://www.redstickfestival.org/competition/submissions/ for details.
• Yorgos Veronis, Xiaoliang Wan and Xin Li will give short presentations on their research on Wednesday, February 1, 8:30-9:30 in Johnston 338. All are welcome to attend.
• On February 9th from 3:00pm-4:30pm in the LSU Student Union Capital Chamber Room, Equity, Diversity & Community Outreach and the Office of the Ombudsperson is pleased to announce the 6th Annual Spring Faculty Enrichment Series on: “Workplace Harmony: Creating Civil and Appreciative Cultures in Stressful Times,” which will feature experts speaking on the importance of creating civil work environments, working through differences and conflicts, and managing internal and external stressors from both an individual and collective perspective. This session is recommended for all faculty, staff, and graduate assistants and highly recommended for faculty and administrators with supervisory and/or human resource functions. For early registration, please visit: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SFES2012.
• Prior approval is required for Special Meal Requests. Employees who make meal purchases without prior approvals may find that they must cover the cost of any monies spent for an unapproved event out of pocket. Dine-in restaurant meals are not allowed on LaCarte credit cards. Please contact Susie McGlone (firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to any special meal with visitor(s) to file the appropriate request for approval. Prior approval could take up to two weeks, so please plan accordingly.
• Please remember to send your news concerning grants, awards, conferences, or other pertinent information to CCT Event Coordinator Jennifer Fontenot at email@example.com
• Follow CCT with social media to access photos and see news, events or updated information. These pages are public; you do not need an account to view the information.
o Facebook group : LSU Center for Computation & Technology
o Twitter : LSUCCT
o YouTube channel : LSUCCT
• MAG (Mobile App-Art-Action Group): Everyone interested in the potential for Mobile Apps is invited to come and add their vision for these revolutionary devices. Meetings are scheduled January 30th, February 27th, March 26th and April 23rd, 5:00-6:00 pm For more information visit: http://www.cct.lsu.edu/MAG. Contact: Jesse Allison (firstname.lastname@example.org)
• GPU: meets weekly (Wednesdays @ 2:30 pm in 338 Johnston) and encourages participation from anyone who would like to join in the discussions. Join the mailing list: email@example.com. Contact: Bhupender Thakur (firstname.lastname@example.org)
January 20-21: Scientific Computing Around Louisiana Workshop
January 25: Training: Intro to HPC
Thru January 31: Red Stick International Animation Festival “Best of the Fest” accepting entries
February 1: Training: HPC User Environment
February 16-18: Mardi Gras Conference: Computational Materials & Biosystems Conference
February 25-29: Symposium on Principles & Practice of Parallel Programming
February 25-29: Symposium on High Performance Computer Architecture
Thru March 1: REU-Computational Sciences accepting entries
Thru March 1: REU-Materials science accepting entries
April 15-17: Symposium on Laptop Ensembles & Orchestras
July 9-13: Beowulf Boot Camp for High School Teachers & Students
Upcoming Grant Deadlines:
Note: Please check the CCT deadline Web site, since it is updated daily.