Phoenix MacAiodh joined CCT as the Multimedia Support IT Analyst on November 28th.
Kristy Kerner joined CCT as Purchasing Coordinator on December 5th.
• If you or your group is interested in showcasing at the 2012 TechPawLooza Event on March 14th, which is held on campus in the Union Ballroom, please contact Karen Jones (email@example.com). If you wish to reserve a space, submit a small summary of your display, and any electrical and/or internet needs by January 13th.
• The LSU Faculty Colloquium, sponsored by the Office of Academic Affairs and the LSU Retention Committee, will be held from 1 to 4:30 pm in Coates Hall 143 and followed by refreshments, group discussion, and response session. Dr. Janet Zadina, cognitive neuroscientist and 2011 winner of the Education in Neuroscience Award, will present “Using Brain Research to Orchestrate Learning: The Multiple Pathways Model.” Dr. Zadina has made outstanding contributions to the field of neuroscience education and training. Her research has investigated the neuroanatomy of dyslexia through collaboration with Tulane University School of Medicine. Through the colloquium and related discussion, faculty members will learn about principles and strategies for effective instruction that are derived directly from brain research. These new approaches to teaching have been shown to increase classroom engagement and student learning which in turn increases student retention. This is a must-attend event for faculty and staff who want to reconsider their approaches to helping today’s students learn more effectively. Please click on http://appl027.lsu.edu/comp/surveyapp.nsf/survey?OpenAgent&id=academicaff by Dec. 16 to reserve a spot. The colloquium offers a great opportunity to begin 2012 with some new classroom strategies.
• On February 9th from 3:00pm-4:30pm in the LSU Student Union Capital Chamber Room, Equity, Diversity & Community Outreach and the Office of the Ombudsperson is pleased to announce the 6th Annual Spring Faculty Enrichment Series on: “Workplace Harmony: Creating Civil and Appreciative Cultures in Stressful Times,” which will feature experts speaking on the importance of creating civil work environments, working through differences and conflicts, and managing internal and external stressors from both an individual and collective perspective. This session is recommended for all faculty, staff, and graduate assistants and highly recommended for faculty and administrators with supervisory and/or human resource functions. For early registration, please visit: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SFES2012.
• The newly released 2011 Components can be found at: https://www.cct.lsu.edu/site256.php
• We are pleased to launch a bi-weekly CCT Tech Talk Series to promote hardware design, software and tools development, and research enablement efforts at CCT. We hope to enable and facilitate more development and effective use of advanced cyberinfrastructure (CI)-based computational science tools to significantly boost innovation and discovery in all disciplines and interdisciplinary fields across LSU. The goals of this series are to encourage inter-group collaborations, incubate new projects, and seek funding opportunities for multi-disciplinary collaborative research. As mentioned above, incubating new projects is one of our goals of the planned talks. Currently, there are two projects for which several of the researchers at CCT are seeking campus wide collaboration:
1. Domain specific language and equation description language for code generation.
2. Large scale DG-FEM programming framework on unstructured meshes.
Please contact Honggao Liu (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested in either of the projects or you are incubating a new project.
• Submissions for the 2012 Red Stick International Animation Festival are now being accepted thru January 6th. Visit http://www.redstickfestival.org/competition/submissions/ for details.
• Prior approval is required for Special Meal Requests. Employees who make meal purchases without prior approvals may find that they must cover the cost of any monies spent for an unapproved event out of pocket. Dine-in restaurant meals are not allowed on LaCarte credit cards. Please contact Susie McGlone (email@example.com) prior to any special meal with visitor(s) to file the appropriate request for approval. Prior approval could take up to two weeks, so please plan accordingly.
• Please remember to send your news concerning grants, awards, conferences, or other pertinent information to CCT Event Coordinator Jennifer Fontenot at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Follow CCT with social media to access photos and see news, events or updated information. These pages are public; you do not need an account to view the information.
o Facebook group : LSU Center for Computation & Technology
o Twitter : LSUCCT
o YouTube channel : LSUCCT
• MAG (Mobile App-Art-Action Group): Everyone interested in the potential for Mobile Apps is invited to come and add their vision for these revolutionary devices. Meetings are scheduled December 7th, 5:00-6:00 pm. For more information, visit http://www.cct.lsu.edu/site.php?pageID=63&newsID=1402. Contact: Jesse Allison (email@example.com)
• GPU: meets weekly (Wednesdays @ 2:30 pm in 338 Johnston) and encourages participation from anyone who would like to join in the discussions. Join the mailing list: firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact: Bhupender Thakur (email@example.com)
Thru January 6, 2012: Red Stick International Animation Festival “Best of the Fest” accepting entries
January 20-21, 2012: Scientific Computing Around Louisiana Workshop
April 15-17, 2012: Symposium on Laptop Ensembles & Orchestras
Upcoming Grant Deadlines:
Note: Please check the CCT deadline Web site, since it is updated daily.
Software Infrastructure for Sustained Innovation (SI2) Scientific Software Innovation Institutes (S2I2)
December 14, 2011 10:00 am
At least $500,000.00 available