Pats on the Back:
Susanne Brenner has been elected as a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). She is being honored for "advances in finite element, multigrid and domain decomposition methods, and for service to the computational and applied mathematics community." http://www.aaas.org/news/releases/2012/1130fellows_2012.shtml
- Bob Kooima was recognized by the Greater Baton Rouge Business Report as one of the “2012 Forty Under 40.”
CCT in the News:
2012 Forty Under 40
LSU Researchers Honored by Professional and Local Organizations
Source: LSU College of Science
Lectures this week:
There will be a lecture on “Effect of Magnetic Field on Dynamical Instability of Neutron Stars” by Roberto De Pietri, Parma University, Italy. This lecture will take place on Tuesday, December 4th at 12:10 PM in 262 Nicholson Hall.
There will be a Material World Adjunct Faculty Presentation on “A Tale of Two Functions: Enzymatic Activity or Translational Repression by a Biotin-Dependent Enzyme” by Grover Waldrop, LSU. This lecture will take place on Monday, December 10th at 2:00 PM in 338 Johnston Hall.
- The 2012 Components is now online: http://www.cct.lsu.edu/. Previous Components are available in pdf via the following link: https://www.cct.lsu.edu/components
- Please send 2013 summer camp dates to Karen Jones (email@example.com).
- Please note that a new logo has been created for the CCT. Karen Jones sent it out via ALLCCT email on November 6th. Please update your documents, posters, webpages, etc. as appropriate. The tower logo is no longer in use.
- Registration is now open for SCALA 2013: Scientific Computing Around Louisiana. SCALA will be held at Tulane University in New Orleans, February 15-16, 2013. Tulane University's Center for Computational Science and the LSU CCT will co-sponsor, for the fourth time, a meeting to: (1) highlight cutting-edge topics in scientific computing, (2) showcase the research at Louisiana institutions and, (3) promote collaborations across the state of Louisiana. This meeting is open to any faculty, post-doctoral researcher or student from any college in and around Louisiana. For more information and to register, visit http://tulane.edu/sse/ccs/news/scala-2013.cfm.
We are pleased to announce release 4.1.0 of the Cactus computational toolkit. This release includes support for new architectures, changes to MPI configuration and comes bundled with supporting tools like GetComponents and Simfactory. In addition, bug fixes accumulated since the previous release in October 2011 have been included. This release was tested and released together with the sixth release (code name "Ørsted") of the Einstein Toolkit , and is used by that. For more detailed information about the 4.1.0 release please read the long release announcement on the Cactus Toolkit web pages: http://cactuscode.org/download/releasenotes/Cactus_4.1.0
- Executive Vice Chancellor & Provost Stuart Bell has issued the call for nominations for the 2013 Distinguished Faculty Awards. LSU is proud of its world-class faculty, and we look forward to recognizing outstanding work among colleagues. Special thanks go to the LSU Alumni Association, the LSU Foundation, and the Tiger Athletic Foundation for their continued support. More information can be found here. Nomination packets are due through academic deans to Academic Affairs by Feb. 1, 2013.
- FY 2012-2013 Holiday Schedule:
- December 24 thru January 1: Christmas & New Year’s
- Don’t forget to turn in your leave slips to Andy Cox if you are planning on taking extra vacation days.
- Prior approval is required for Special Meal Requests. Employees who make meal purchases without prior approvals may find that they must cover the cost of any monies spent for an unapproved event out of pocket. Dine-in restaurant meals are not allowed on LaCarte credit cards. Please contact Susie McGlone (firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to any special meal with visitor(s) to file the appropriate request for approval. Prior approval could take up to two weeks, so please plan accordingly.
- Please remember to send your news concerning grants, awards, conferences, or other pertinent information to CCT Event Coordinator Jennifer Fontenot at email@example.com
- Follow CCT with social media to access photos and see news, events or updated information. These pages are public; you do not need an account to view the information.
- MAG (Mobile App-Art-Action Group): Everyone interested in the potential for Mobile Apps is invited to come and add their vision for these revolutionary devices.
Weekly MAG Lab Time- Fridays, 9:00 AM-Noon: MAG collaborative work time- 16 Johnston Hall
- Come, design, plot, scheme, dream, work on your mobile projects with people around to provide help, feedback, and encouragement.
- For more information visit: http://www.cct.lsu.edu/MAG
- Contact: Jesse Allison (firstname.lastname@example.org)
GPU: meets weekly (Thursdays @ 12:30 pm in 338 Johnston) and encourages participation from anyone who would like to join in the discussions. Join the mailing list: email@example.com
- Contact: Zhifeng Yun (firstname.lastname@example.org)
December 3: REU-Computational Sciences Applications Open