Pats on the Back:
- Peter Diener, Frank Loffler, Jian Tao, and Steve Brandt received an award from NSF through the University of Illinois titled, "Cactus Petascale Enhancements." The award for $75,000 for one year.
- Thank you to everyone who helped make the iOS App Boot Camp a success!
- Congratulations to Amanda Moody and her husband, who welcomed their third child into the world, Lilah Ruth, on August 14th at 12:15 PM. Lilah weighs 8 pounds, 15 ounces and is 22 inches long. Both mom and baby are doing well.
- The Sally Ride Science Festival for Girls, hosted by ExxonMobil in partnership with The LSU Cain Center and Colleges of Science and Engineering, is coming back to Baton Rouge. The 2012 Festival will offer exciting, hands-on activities during the street fair, followed by a keynote address from an astronaut, and engaging, hands-on workshops for students and parents/teachers. They are expecting 600+ 5th-8th grade students, most of whom will be girls.
Kathy Traxler is asking for volunteers to help her with a demo of applications from the Alice in Computation Land Camp and a parent/teacher workshop to showcase some of the things she learned in the computational science workshops CCT hosted for high school teachers and faculty. She is asking for help from 9:00 AM until about 4:10 PM to help her with the laptops she will bring and to keep the students moving during the fair and to help out during the workshops. If you can help, please email Kathy (email@example.com).
- Please visit the new and updated Office of Research and Economic Development (ORED) web site (www.research.lsu.edu). Essential information is now part of the web site including research news, updates and calls for proposals and grants. The RFP information from different federal agencies are updated weekly.
- Prior approval is required for Special Meal Requests. Employees who make meal purchases without prior approvals may find that they must cover the cost of any monies spent for an unapproved event out of pocket. Dine-in restaurant meals are not allowed on LaCarte credit cards. Please contact Susie McGlone (firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to any special meal with visitor(s) to file the appropriate request for approval. Prior approval could take up to two weeks, so please plan accordingly.
- Please remember to send your news concerning grants, awards, conferences, or other pertinent information to CCT Event Coordinator Jennifer Fontenot at email@example.com
- Follow CCT with social media to access photos and see news, events or updated information. These pages are public; you do not need an account to view the information.
MAG (Mobile App-Art-Action Group): Everyone interested in the potential for Mobile Apps is invited to come and add their vision for these revolutionary devices. Meetings are scheduled in 338 Johnston from 4:30- 6:00 PM on September 6th, October 4th and November 1st. For more information visit: http://www.cct.lsu.edu/MAG
- Contact: Jesse Allison (firstname.lastname@example.org)
GPU: meets weekly (Thursdays @ 12:30 pm in 338 Johnston) and encourages participation from anyone who would like to join in the discussions. Join the mailing list: email@example.com
- Contact: Zhifeng Yun (firstname.lastname@example.org)
August 20: First day of the fall semester (Please note change in class start times here)
September 14: LSU Fall Fest
September 20: Women in Technology Careers Forum
October 19-20: ACM ICPC South Central USA Regional Programming Contest