Lectures this Week:
There will be an Experimental Music and Digital Media Faculty Candidate lecture on “Interactive Sonic Sculpting and Machine Improvisation” by Douglas Van Nort, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. The lecture will take place Wednesday, April 24, 2013 at 1:30 PM in 338 Johnston Hall.
- Tatiana Johnson joined CCT on April 22nd as Communications Manager.
- Adrian Serio joined CCT on April 22nd as Scientific Program Coordinator.
CCT will host the PyFUN Programming Summer Camp, June 17- 21, 2013 on the LSU Campus, for boys and girls entering grades 6-8 in the Baton Rouge and surrounding areas. This 5-day camp will consist of basic concepts of programming that are used in any programming language, and will include:
• Problem solving
• What the parts of a computer are and how they work together
• Strings and console output
• Conditionals and flow control
• Functions, lists, dictionaries, and loops
• Introduction to classes
• File input and output
- For more information and to register, visit https://www.cct.lsu.edu/events/pyfun-programming-summer-camp-2013
The Beowulf Bootcamp is open for registration. CCT will host the sixth Beowulf Boot Camp July 8-12 on the LSU campus. This exciting course offers students and teachers a unique opportunity to work with advanced research technology not usually available in a typical classroom setting.
During Beowulf Boot Camp 2013, students will work hands-on with a number of LSU professors as they learn how to build and use supercomputers.
- WHO: Louisiana High School Students, Baton Rouge Community College Students, and Louisiana Teachers
Students will engage in the following activities:
- building a computer cluster from scratch
- installing the Linux operating system on the computer they've built
- connecting computers put together by their peers to make a mini-supercomputer
- learning how to program a mini-supercomputer in parallel with Python
- interactive activities to help understand how Parallel computing works in Supercomputing
- running performance benchmarks to determine how your cluster ranks in comparison with the fastest and largest supercomputers in the world
- This camp is introductory so students do not need a strong computational science background to participate. Some knowledge of programming a plus.
- For more information and to register, visit http://www.cct.lsu.edu/beowulfcamp2013
- Registration is open for the LSU iOS App Boot Camp 2013. CCT will host the LSU iOS App Boot Camp for its third year, August 5 - August 15, 2013, (10 day camp not including Sunday), on the LSU Campus. This educational experience will offer participants the opportunity to gain knowledge while enhancing their entrepreneurial spirit. Participants will work in groups to create their own functional iOS app and have it loaded on their personal device by end of camp. The course will be taught by LSU faculty who push the boundaries of mobile applications in computer science and digital media fields. Post-camp programs to expand and hone new skills will also be offered. For more information and to register visit https://www.cct.lsu.edu/events/lsu-ios-app-boot-camp-2013
- Prior approval is required for Special Meal Requests. Employees who make meal purchases without prior approvals may find that they must cover the cost of any monies spent for an unapproved event out of pocket. Dine-in restaurant meals are not allowed on LaCarte credit cards. Please contact Susie McGlone (firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to any special meal with visitor(s) to file the appropriate request for approval. Prior approval could take up to two weeks, so please plan accordingly.
- Please remember to send your news concerning grants, awards, conferences, or other pertinent information to CCT Communications Manager Tatiana Johnson at email@example.com
- Follow CCT with social media to access photos and see news, events or updated information. These pages are public; you do not need an account to view the information.
- MAG (Mobile App-Art-Action Group): Everyone interested in the potential for Mobile Apps is invited to come and add their vision for these revolutionary devices.
GPU: meets weekly (Thursdays @ 12:30 pm in 338 Johnston) and encourages participation from anyone who would like to join in the discussions. Join the mailing list: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact: Zhifeng Yun (email@example.com)
June 10- 14: Alice in Computation Land Summer Camp
June 12- 13: High Performance Computing User Symposium
June 17- 21: PyFUN Programming Summer Camp 2013
July 8-12: Beowulf Boot Camp
August 5- August 15: LSU iOS App Boot Camp