I’m forwarding this call in an attempt to address those Pure Data Laptop Orchestra around the world waiting to rock!
FYI: Submission deadline is November 1The Center for Computation & Technology at Louisiana State University is announcing a Call for Proposals for the first-ever Symposium for Laptop Ensembles and Orchestras (SLEO), to be held in Baton Rouge, LA, USA from 15-17 April 2012 on the campus of Louisiana State University.
SLEO will gather current and future practitioners for a workshop and symposium exclusively dedicated to the topic of laptop ensembles and orchestras. The symposium will address the use of all types of mobile devices, including laptops, tablets, phones and other handheld devices, along with other relevant hardware and software for live group performances.
SLEO will feature workshops, paper and panel presentations, and performances with the goal of making it an important venue for anyone interested in music composition, performance and education using laptop and mobile devices.
SPECIAL EVENTS: The symposium will feature a keynote address by Dr. Ge Wang, director of the Stanford Laptop Orchestra and co-founder of Smule, along with performances by the Mobile Performance Group (Stetson University), Sideband (Princeton University) and the Laptop Orchestra of Louisiana (LSU).
We encourage proposal abstracts for the following types of presentations:
• workshops (2 or 4 hours in length)
• papers (15 mins presentations)
• panel discussions (30 – 60 minutes)
• posters & demonstrations
• music compositions for LEOs (Laptop/Mobile Ensemble/Orchestras)
• SLEO video archive
Suggested topics for presentations include, but are not limited to:
• Best practices in composition, rehearsal, performance
• Techniques used in composing for LEOs
• Software & network management
• History & aesthetic theory of LEOs
• Teaching & pedagogical strategies
• Hardware (audio, interface, computers, loudspeakers)
• Software environments & frameworks
• Composers’ perspectives on their own music compositions
For more information and instructions for submissions, please refer to the SLEO 2012 website, http://sleo2012.cct.lsu.edu/. The deadline for submission abstracts is November 1, 2011.