July 15-19, 2019
Camp Locations: Baton Rouge Community College and Louisiana State University
Energy Venture Camp is designed for students to learn about careers in energy while having fun. Students will:
- Perform many hands-on experiments to explore the entire process of energy development; from how oil and natural gas are formed to the ways various types of energy are used.
- Build a generator, a motor, a car, a windmill, a solar house and a robot!!
- Learn how to do basic programming and simulations.
- Perform simple labs to learn about photosynthesis, distillation, catalysts, pressure, temperature, density, fracking, combustion, how an engine works, and super conductors.
- Talk to experts about emerging technologies.
- Learn how energy shapes our world and talk to professionals about careers in energy.
- Have a unique hands-on experience at the LSU Petroleum and Chemical Engineering labs, the LSU Center for Computation & Technology, and the BRCC PTEC lab.
- Field trips, prizes and more! View 2019 video by clicking here.
Who: For rising 9th graders through 12th grade.
Date/Times of the Camp:
• Monday - Thursday, July 15-18 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM (4:00-4:30 PM pickup)
• Friday, July 19, 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM
• Friday, July 19- Student Presentations, 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM (Parents invited!!!)
*Dropoff/pickup locations will be LSU and Baton Rouge Community College. Please read schedule carefully to find the proper location for that day.
Registration: $100 registration fee. Snacks, drinks and lunch provided daily. Students accepted for the camp will be notified by the end of May. Limited seating available. Click here to register!
Note: If you are selected for this camp, you will be emailed a payment link separately. Please have your math or science teacher email a letter of recommendation (email to email@example.com)
If this is your second or third year attending the camp and you would like to be a camp leader, please email us before registering at firstname.lastname@example.org. Camp leaders will meet for 3 selected days prior to the camp for training.
Participants should complete this brief questionnaire (not the parents), as this will help determine what group they will best fit in: Which Thinking Hat Are You? After completion, email your results to email@example.com
Link to the Thinking Hat Questionnaire @ http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=which-thinking-hat-are-you
Taught By: Jeannette Thompson and Richard Hansen, teachers at Dunham School and Episcopal School. For more information contact Jeannettepthompson@gmail.com.