July 13-17, 2015
Camp Locations: Baton Rouge Community College and Louisiana State University
Energy Venture Camp is designed for students to learn about careers in energy while having fun. Students will:
- Perform many hands-on experiments to explore the entire process of energy development; from how oil and natural gas are formed to the ways various types of energy are used.
- Build a generator, a motor, a car, a windmill, a solar house and a robot!!
- Learn how to do basic programming and simulations.
- Perform simple labs to learn about photosynthesis, distillation, catalysts, pressure, temperature, density, fracking, combustion, how an engine works, and super conductors.
- Talk to experts about emerging technologies.
- Learn how energy shapes our world and talk to professionals about careers in energy.
- Have a unique hands-on experience at the LSU Petroleum and Chemical Engineering labs, the LSU Center for Computation & Technology, and the BRCC PTEC lab.
- Field trips, prizes and more! View last year's video by clicking here.
Who: For rising highschool students and STEM teachers. Teachers will receive CEU's for the days they attend the camp. Please talk to camp organizers for more details.
Date/Times of the Camp:
• Monday - Thursday, July 13-16, 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
• Friday, July 17, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
• Friday, July 17- Student Presentations, 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM (Parents invited!!!)
Registration: $50 registration fee for students/ $0 for teachers. Snacks, drinks and lunch provided daily. Students accepted for the camp will be notified by the end of May. Limited seating available. CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!
Forms for Campers:
Welcome to the Baton Rouge Energy Venture Camp!
Please fill out and return the liability forms. You must bring the Shell, LSU, and BRCC liability forms to the first day of the camp or you will not be allowed to participate. They must be signed by a parent or guardian if you are under 18. Liability forms are currently being updated but will be posted prior to camp.
Liability Forms: Waiver of Liability, Medical Insurance and Shell Camp Liability Form
Please take the following self-assessment prior to coming to the camp and bring your hat color to the first day of camp.
Six Hats Self-Assessment
If this is your second or third year attending the camp and you would like to be a camp leader, please email us before registering at email@example.com. Camp leaders will meet for 3 selected days prior to the camp for training.
Taught By: Jeannette Thompson and Richard Hansen, teachers at Dunham School and Catholic High School. For more information contact Jeannettepthompson@gmail.com.