July 28-August 1, 2014
Camp Locations: Baton Rouge Community College and Louisiana State University
Energy Venture Camp is designed for students to learn about careers in energy while having fun. Students will:
- Perform many hands-on experiments to explore the entire process of energy development; from how oil and natural gas are formed to the ways various types of energy are used.
- Build a generator, a motor, a car, a windmill, a solar house and a robot!!
- Learn how to do basic programming and simulations.
- Perform simple labs to learn about photosynthesis, distillation, catalysts, pressure, temperature, density, fracking, combustion, how an engine works, and super conductors.
- Talk to experts about emerging technologies.
- Learn how energy shapes our world and talk to professionals about careers in energy.
- Have a unique hands-on experience at the LSU Petroleum and Chemical Engineering labs, the LSU Center for Computation & Technology, and the BRCC PTEC lab.
- Field trips, prizes and more!
Who: For 9th, 10th, and 11th grade students. Parents and teachers are invited. Teachers will receive CEU's for completion of the camp.
Date/Times of the Camp:
• Monday - Thursday, July 28-31, 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
• Friday, August 1, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
• Friday, August 1- Student Presentations, 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM (Parents invited!!!)
Registration: $25 registration fee for students/ $0 for teachers. Snacks, drinks and lunch provided daily. Students accepted for the camp will be notified by the end of May. Limited seating available. Registration is closed **Note: please mail check payments only if you've been selected for the camp. If you want to be on the first call list for next year's camp, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Forms for Campers:
Welcome to the Baton Rouge Energy Venture Camp!
Please fill out and return the liability forms. You must bring the Shell, LSU, and BRCC liability forms to the first day of the camp or you will not be allowed to participate. They must be signed by a parent or guardian if you are under 18. Liability forms are currently being updated but will be posted prior to camp.
Liability Forms: Waiver of Liability, Medical Insurance and Shell Camp Liability Form
Please take the following self-assessment prior to coming to the camp and bring your hat color to the first day of camp.
Six Hats Self-Assessment
We look forward to seeing you on July 28th!
For more information contact Jeannettepthompson@gmail.com.
Review news article: click here.
Taught By: Jeannette Thompson and Richard Hansen, teachers at Dunham School.